A fire that ignited in a fireplace caused smoke and water damage to a split-level home on South SR 53 early Wednesday morning.
According to reports from the Seneca County Sheriff's Office, McCutchenville firefighters, NBS firefighters and New Riegel EMS were called to 3478 S. SR 53 at 4:49 a.m. after a resident reported smoke was coming out of the walls.
Craig Hemminger of the McCutchenville Fire Department said the state fire marshal was called to the residence and determined the fire started in a fireplace located in the basement.
He said most of the damage to the residence was smoke and water damage. Hemminger did not have an estimated dollar amount Wednesday evening, but said he believed the residence could be repaired.
"We had to take down some ceilings to get to the fire," he said.
No injuries were reported, according to reports from the sheriff's office, and the Red Cross was called to assist the two adults and two children who were living at the home.
According to reports from Tiffin Fire and Rescue, Tiffin firefighters were requested for mutual aid to provide water.