PHOTO BY ERIKA PLATT-HANDRU
Bascom Joint Fire District and Bascom EMS stand outside 1096 S. Caldwell Ave. Friday afternoon. The residents had reported smoke inside the modular home, where firefighters found a fire had started underneath the floor. Fire Chief Harry Miller said the fire likely was electrical. Miller said the residence sustained smoke damage and firefighters had to cut three holes in the floor to get to the fire. He estimated damage around $10,000. Miller said the Red Cross was called to assist the residents, who were displaced because the electricity had to be turned off.