Tiffin Fire Rescue Division personnel fought a smoldering fire in an attic at 82 First Ave. Saturday evening.
A neighbor who reported the fire said there was light smoke coming from the attic, and that is what the crew found upon arrival, said Chief Bill Ennis of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division.
Ennis said the cause of the accidental fire appeared to be electrical. He said a damaged wire was located in the attic, and he believed there was an electrical short or a wire overheated.
PHOTO BY JILL GOSCHE
Chief Bill Ennis of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division points as he stands near the house at 82 First Ave. Saturday evening.
The fire smoldered in the insulation for at least a few hours, Ennis said.
"It burnt one of the rafters about halfway through," he said.
Ennis said the damage was confined to the attic, and he said described the damage as minor. He did not have a damage estimate at the scene Saturday evening.
Ennis said the house was vacant, and he heard from neighbors that people had been working on the house Saturday. The house is owned by PHH Mortgage Corp., according to the Seneca County Auditor's Office website.
A power company was summoned to shut off the electricity to the home. A Tiffin Police Department officer also responded.
No one was injured in the fire, Ennis said.
The fire was reported at 7:30 p.m., a Tiffin Police Department spokesman said.